SSL is dead. Long live TLS.

Hmm, do you think there are any other protocols that could be resurrected with a different name? How about good old HTTP? It hasn’t been about “Hypertext” transport for a long time. I mean sure, HTML is still around, but half the time it’s being written on the fly by your Javascript app anyway, not to mention there are CSS, SVG, images, audio, video, and a host of other things being transported via HTTP. And it’s not just passively transferring files, it’s communicating complicated application responses.

Maybe we should just call it Transport Protocol, “TP” for short. Yeah, I like it!

Happy New Year!


I can’t believe it’s already December.

Problem du jour: getting logs from a pod via the OpenShift API. You would think I could just look at the impl of the oc logs command, but as usual it’s too tangled a mess (or, more likely, I just need to understand how to really use the go tools I have).

oc logs first muddies the water trying to figure out what kind of resource the user wants logs for. I can hopefully ignore this since I already have the pod I created ready.

Interlude – trying to figure out what gets injected into a pod’s /etc/resolv.conf file. Because someone is getting a wildcard domain added to their search directive and that causes everything to resolve to that domain IP, including e.g. github.com. I couldn’t get a useful read on what settings are relevant. I thought there was a setting for whether or not to inject the skydns nameserver; now I can’t find it. I created a pod on my devenv and it didn’t get anything injected. So I’m not sure all the sources of input to this file.

WordPress used to have a button to remove the distractions and make the editor take up the whole window. What ever happened to that?

So back to getting logs. Looks like I need to store the command’s Factory somewhere in order to be able to get to the LogsForObject method. Kubernetes or OpenShift factory? I have the OpenShift factory from my command and it contains the Kubernetes factory so it’s all the same.

I got the pod running… after I remembered to actually have the diagnostic call the necessary code. Disconcerting when you run a diagnostic and get *nothing* back. Now I have the pod being created and a readCloser with the results. Reminding myself how to use a readCloser.

Pro tip: don’t try to Fscanln a reader. Create a bufio Scanner instead.

See the thing I made

I wrote an article for the Red Hat Developers Blog. I haven’t felt much like blogging this year, but there’s one thing at least. If I have articles I think would be of outside interest, I’ll probably post them over there. This blog should return to its original purpose, which was for me to blather about my frustrations and solutions in a kind of stream of consciousness.